Friday, January 4, 2013

Hope Is A Function Of Struggle

      Every winter neighbors and passersby marvel at the Rhododendron in my front yard. This year it started to bud in December and it is now in full bloom. 



Of course it is genetically prone to bloom early but it is a bush that gets very little encouragement. One year a car off the road ran right over it and it was severely pruned but it came back stronger that ever. It is a symbol of hope for me. There will be spring after every winter.



    "Hope is a function of struggle; it is a cognitive behavioral process that we learn when we have experiences that require growth and overcoming." Brene Brown
  It is no wonder that my stories of adversity are remembered so well. They have made me the person I am. If this be true why would we want to shield our children from this kind of growth. "If I could save from you from this heartache I would," I said to my daughter as she wept in pain over the loss of her engagement from a man who turned out different than she hoped. Perhaps I have less faith in my children than God had in us when he sent us here. Babies are hard-wired for struggle and we protect them but sometimes shield them from learning the hard lessons that could insure their hope in themselves. This is the great vulnerability  of all parents. Have we done enough or too little to launch them into being great adults. I don't know about you, but I was not "growed" up when I brought my tiny daughter home. I wasn't finished with tantrums, fear of the boogie man, and freaking out. I am just now daring greatly to be the woman I want my daughters to become. A little late? They still want to engage with me, so I think I may have a chance to be finished. 
  Read a super chapter called Wholehearted Parenting; Daring to Be the Adults We Want Our Children to Be, by Brene Brown 



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?