Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Book of Mormon Summer- 2 Nephi

Sketching images in the Book of Mormon forces me to see recurring themes. One of my favorites is the contrast between the awful chains of hell and the encircling arms of righteousness. Both bind, but one binds us to endless misery and the other to our Savior, who sets us free.

Lehi's words
2 Nephi 1:13" O that ye would awake; awake from a deep sleep, yea, even from the sleep of hell, and shake off the awful chains by which ye are bound, which are the chains which bind the children of men, that they are carried away captive down to the eternal gulf of misery and woe."

Jacob's words
2 Nephi 9:45 "O, my beloved brethren, turn away from your sins; shake off the chains of him that would bind you fast; come unto that God who is the rock of your salvation."

             
                                                                       Lehi's words


2 Nephi 1:15 "But behold, the Lord hath redeemed my soul from hell; I have beheld his glory, and I am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love."

Nephi's words

2 Nephi 4:33 "O Lord, wilt thou encircle me around in the robe of thy righteousness! O Lord, wilt thou make a way for mine escape before mine enemies! Wilt thou make my path straight before me! Wilt thou not place a stumbling block in my way -- but that thou wouldst clear my way before me, and hedge not up my way, but the ways of mine enemy."
                                                                       
                                                                            ****
   Another recurring theme is light which carries over into all scripture. Isaiah points out that if we obey and respect the Lord we will have his light. But some would create their own light and try to fire up another pathway; their own way.

    2 Nephi 7:10 "Who is among you that feareth the Lord, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness and hath no light? Behold all ye that kindle fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks, walk in the light of your fire and in the sparks which ye have kindled. This shall ye have of mine hand -- ye shall lie down in sorrow."



       2 Nephi 12:5 "O house of Jacob, come ye and let us walk in the light of the Lord; yea, come, for ye have all gone astray, every one to his wicked ways."
  Here are more of my thoughts on this block of scripture.
  Here are 8X5 versions of my illustrations to copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?