Friday, September 5, 2014

Whisper

  We have foggy days here on my Island. Days when the wet blanket in the sky muffles the noises of cars, voices, even the fog horn itself is a different pitch. I like the stillness. It reminds me to listen more to the whispers. Have you noticed that when a conversation starts in a whisper it takes a while to get used to breath coming through the throat. It feels so awkward but in a short while the whispering starts to feel elegant. For me that awkwardness of the whisper is a sign of too much, too fast, too thoughtless  My daughter went on a ten day silence retreat. Ten days of meditation. She told me when they break silence on the tenth day everything starts in a whisper


   Shh……time is up.

I write on Fridays with a large group who inspire me. Only five minutes and without much thought to perfection. I write, prompted by one word that sends my thoughts to the keyboard and hopefully makes sense.  

7 comments:

  1. Loved your post! It gave me a soft peace.
    I've become quieter lately. I don't know if it's stress or menopause =) but noise sometimes becomes a violation to me. I find when I'm quiet and then need to speak it certainly does begin in a whisper.
    Thank you and blessings to you.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from FMF! I love the peace that your post brings. You just get this feeling of comfort and relaxation. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mia, I tried to leave a comment on your blog but my computer was not cooperating. I said your poem in a whisper. It was lovely.

      Delete
  3. I so enjoyed your post today. Stopping over from the Five Minute Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much. I made a little visit your way.

      Delete
  4. Oh boy I would love a silent retreat. I did one a couple of years ago. It was so good.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?