Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Little Altered Board Book Entitled "The Gifts Of Imperfection"- A Brené Brown Journal

     Some weeks back I was invited into my friend's art studio to work on a new project. With recycled children's board books we created new journals.


    My theme was easy to identify because I'm reading 'Daring Greatly" in a women's group online and offline with my daughter and friends. I wanted a little journal to remind me of the most important messages of both "Daring Greatly" and "The Gifts of Imperfection".


      I started off with the three gifts, courage, compassion, and connection. These gifts truly are real.


   I want to remember that compassionate people are also those who honor boundaries around themselves and those around others.


   "We are wired for connection." I find that connecting to others who may seem different or far away from us brings unexpected joy. The best treat of doing my online class was making a friend from Michigan who reached out and surprised me with her interest and openness.


     I don't see myself as a perfectionist but this definition encompasses my response to many things in life. Perhaps another way to look at it is a process of self-justification. Perfectionism moves us along a path of suffering. Riding the "hot wheels" of perfectionism is grueling.


Simplify! I need these words as I head into the next two months of holidays.


   Perfectionism rides with shame.  Shame is a big subject. I want to remember that a shaming experience becomes bigger when we don't talk about it. 


    Solving problems is a God given gift. After all, when Adam and Eve partook of the forbidden fruit God gave them options to solve their problem. Part of being creative is seeing another way to make the whole beautiful.


    Staying humble and vulnerable is something I must take in small steps. I do a lot of backsliding and getting back in the game.


   Wow! Numbing is big for me. This week I tried to eat at the table at every meal to avoid numbing feelings with food at the TV. I only made it once a day. I will try again this week.


   And, lastly, my mantra for the next while. Courage over comfort may be the hardest thing I have ever tried to embrace.


     I love my little board book. Thank-you art friend for sharing your idea and time.

5 comments:

  1. Wow that is really neat! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for opening yourself up and sharing this awesome project with us! As always, I learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been a pleasure watching this book come to life over the past several weeks. Now seeing it all together it sure is a beautiful book. What a great reminder for living a wholehearted life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can see all the fun you had making it reflected in the pages. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?