Friday, January 23, 2015

Share

     My grandmother was an older grandmother because I was born so late in my parent's life. I knew her well but she was very formal and stern. My secret wish was to play with her stuff. A chest with a very shallow top drawer is mine today as an inheritance. That shallow drawer was filled with her jewelry, old letters, and fragrant scented souvenirs.


      My grandchildren want to play with my stuff, too. I purposefully share the art supplies and my love of art.  


     Passionate about creativity for everyone, I try to do some form of art every time I see these kids. Friday Art Day is still going strong after a year and a half.


      Why do I share this way?  Because art is affirming, calming, centering, and a vehicle of connection.


    I finally have enough extra cash to keep the Sharpie box filled, the watercolors ready, and the paper in neat stacks. In order to share openly a feeling of abundance must exist.


    As an art lover I am a better grandmother than I was a mother. Back then I was too concerned with misuse of supplies and messes on the table.


     Filled with my own artistic joy, I share better. I guess I growed up.


   There's nothing like having the grands around at my recent art show. "Hey, kids, I made this! And we can try it together this week."


I write on Fridays with a large group who inspire me. Only five minutes and without much thought to perfection. I write, prompted by one word that sends my thoughts to the keyboard and hopefully make sense.


4 comments:

  1. Oh, this is perhaps my favourite ever post of yours: to see your joy in that last photo is a wonderful thing! I love this post so much, I think, because this is what my own house looks like for a few hours every day: I also think it's really important that my children are surrounded by the knowledge that creation, creativity, art is important. [It's proven, over the last year or so, actually, to be a vital lifeline for my son, in particular.....we can get out, in art, what we can't speak in words, I've found]. Loved your post....particularly loved the line, "In order to share openly a feeling of abundance must exist"....I've realised, through all my lived experiences, that the feeling of abundance is so important, even if it's only a feeling (when the Sharpies can't be so readily replaced, for example)....when you live with that feeling of abundance, it feels like you live your life on a different level. Have a lovely day and weekend. Helen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially enjoyed this post as I also love art and the creative process and sharing it with our granddaughter who is visiting this weekend. I keep that supply box for her visits too. We celebrate art. What a wonderful gift you are sharing with your family and have shared here. Stopping by from fmf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed your post, as well. Thank-you for stopping by.

      Delete

What do you think?