Friday, April 17, 2015

Tomorrow

    There is a false faith in tomorrow. Sometimes when I lie awake at night I pray that tomorrow things will look and feel different. Or the opposite, I hope that tomorrow things will be the same. In reality, tomorrow never comes, it only exists in my hopeful mind.



         Swimming, One Day In August
by Mary Oliver

It is time now, I said,
For the deepening and quieting of the spirit
among the flux of happenings.

Something had pestered me so much
I thought my heart would break.
I mean, the mechanical part.

I went down in the afternoon
to the sea
which held me, until I grew easy.

About tomorrow, who knows anything.
Except that it will be time, again, 
for the deepening and quieting of the spirit.


 I write on Fridays with a large group who inspire me. Only five minutes and without much thought to perfection. I write, prompted by one word that sends my thoughts to the keyboard and hopefully make sense.



4 comments:

  1. Love the picture and the poem. Dropping by from FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a post! Couldn't get to the end of the poem the first time I read it, it's so beautiful but made me so sad....beautiful photo! Love how you note tomorrow only exists in the 'hopeful mind'......[I've been so comforted, in recent days, by the thought that hope is far stronger than fear.....and so I loved your 'hopeful mind' connection...]....love your post. Have a lovely weekend! Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, Helen for your meaningful comments.

      Delete

What do you think?