Friday, April 22, 2016

Unity

  You can walk smoothly together only if you synchronize your steps. If your brother has a long stride you may have to do two or more steps to keep up. But, once you find the number of extra steps to take, the rough becomes smooth and a unity is discovered.  

 My brothers were all twelve years old and older. It felt like being raised alone. These brothers, two of which have passed away, were bright, adventuresome, and super hard working. I admired them but felt unconnected. When I hit thirty they started to change their perspective of me as a little sister. 

    My last surviving brother and I spent some days together this week. Our relationship seemed to have a unity which satisfied my "little sister" feelings. We worked on a piano teaching broadcast together, we talked for hours, we sang together and found a new song that strengthened our spirit, and I found in his nature a gentle vulnerability which  I had never fully appreciated. 

    Because of his age we were out of step for much of our life. On this visit we found a sychroncity which made it possible to understand one another.






  I write on Fridays with a large group who inspire me. Only five minutes and without much thought to perfection. I write, prompted by one word that sends my thoughts to the keyboard and hopefully make sense.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. I love spending time with my sister. I'm in the 7 spot this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a sister. You are lucky to have that relationship.

      Delete
  2. It took along time for my brother and I to unite our steps but I am thankful for the way we "walk" together now. I am so thankful for this time you were able to share with your brother. Visiting from fmf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed the time with your brother and that you were able to connect.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?